Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Got up early this morning, well didn't really sleep much last night.   Had to meet up with the group at 0730 for a hike from Paleochora to Sougia.  About 7 miles on a very rugged path that at times wasn't a path at all.  Elevation about 1000 ft, covered twice.  The views were incredible, the waters clear and blue/green.  At lunch we stopped at a small sandy/rocky beach, Lissos beach.  Some very ancient ruins here, that believe it or not, I didn't get any pictures of because the camera battery was exhausted (dead).  We had lunch then had a chance for swimming in the Libyan Sea.  Susan and I didn't get the memo about bringing swimwear in our daypacks, so we swam in our hiking clothes.  It was delightful.  The wind was blowing, so we dried fast.  

We had gotten one geocache earlier in the hike and there was one to be found in this area, so the entire group set off to find it, with success.  I think I've recruited some more folks for geocaching!!

We were all so exhausted when we walked into the village of Sougia, we headed to the nearest outdoor bar for some refreshments, and ended up staying awhile.  We're now checked into our hotel and resting up for dinner which will be at 2030.  I'm not sure I can last that long.  The deck outside our room is growing delicious red and green grapes.  This is a very small little beachside community, hidden away from most of the outside world.

Tomorrow is another long hike into Samaria Gorge which is said to be a fantastic hike.  

Dinner out with the group and our hotel in Paleochota.


3 comments:

  1. How wonderful Liz, thanks again for sharing with us. Enjoy enjoy, but I don't have to tell you that, you are....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fantastic! And cool about the geocaches... I'm a bit jealous. Glad you figured out how to upload photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you were on vacation in a foreign country...birthday suites ladies!! Where is your sense of adventure?

    ReplyDelete