Today starts the hike and kayak part of the vacation. We met up with our tour group last night for dinner. There's 7 of us, 2 Canadians, 2 Brits, 1 Australian and Susan and I. The guide, Alexis is Greek. I'm thinking we'll be challenging him on his English. We're suppose to do some Kayaking this afternoon, but it might not happen. And guess why? Too much wind. Theres got to be some irony there somewhere. The hiking sounds fabulous, so im looking forward to that. Played a bit in the water yesterday, it was very nice. Crete reminds me a lot of Baja. Very dry and desolate looking. The weather has been hot, but not too hot. Today we travel to the south side of Crete, it's less populated. The island of Crete is about 30 miles wide and 130 miles long. Chania, where we are now, seems to be a huge tourist area, so I'm hoping we can get away from some of the crowd and vendors.
Walking the streets here is like taking your life in your hands, the drivers don't slow down for anyone. Pedestrians don't have the right away. Hundreds and hundreds of scooters too. Mostly they're parked on sidewalks. Parking is also fun here, park anywhere your car fits. Including double parking on the street.
I'm out early so I can hook into the city wide internet, later in the day it's hard to get onto with so many tourists connecting to home.
Are there windsurfers? Kiteboarders? Sounds ideal for them.
ReplyDeleteThe drivers sound like they might be related to the ones I came across in Cairo. Don't worry - you'll be an expert at maneuvering through them before you know it. Kind of like the game Frogger. - Tim
ReplyDelete