Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Tuesday, Sept 12

I just spent about 1/2 hour blogging today's and it all disappeared, so now you get the short version.  Crap

We started out this morning from Sougia, all of us piled into the back of a small pickup truck.  It was a tight squeeze, but being wedged in kept anyone from falling out!!  Our destination was the trailhead of Agia Eirini gorge.  It was about 7 km and all uphill.  I'm pretty use to the pristine trails that our national forests, parks and state parks maintain.  Not the case on Crete.  Pretty rugged trails.  We climbed around huge boulders, steps that I almost needed a ladder to get from on step to the next, at times I wasn't sure where the trail really was.  Naturally I took the lead!  The pack was too slow for me....  The cliffs in the gorge were spectacular, rock climbers would have a field day here.  During rainy times this area is closed because the waters is funneled into a narrow channel which makes it quite dangerous.  There was one geocache along the hike, but I didn't get my act together soon enough to locate it.  Tonight I have to be prepared for tomorrow because my hiking mates have caught the geocaching bug.

At the end of the hike was a small outdoor snackbar/restaurant, I think they expected us to eat a big Greek meal, most though settled for an ice cream bar.   But they did bring out the Raki.  A Greek liquor that is drunk after every meal, a welcoming when you get your hotel room etc.   it's rather strong, I think it's just another reason to imbibe.

As I was writing this a got a call to join my group who had gone for a walk and ended up at the trailhead to our hike tomorrow.  Samaria Gorge.  It has to be the most fantastic view.  So I joined them for dinner.  We were going to walk back (5k), but it was dark so the owner of the restaurant drove us.
A wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment