Sunday, September 9, 2012

Saturday, Sept 8

It's been a lazy day for me.  Jet lag hit big time this afternoon, so I took a very long nap.  Susan, on the other hand was out exploring the harbor area.  When she came back to the room, she was all excited about having a "fish spa" on our feet.  Yep, those yuckie fish we couldn't eat last night, their brothers and sisters got to eat off the dead skin on our feet and ankles.   Not sure they were the same kinda fish, but they sure looked like it.  And if they are, no wonder the nasty taste.  Felt weird, tickled at time.   But a fun experience.  

We're sitting again at the harbor, waterfront, having a glass of wine, but not able to connect to the Internet.  It's fun people watching and relaxing.   

This morning after a few missed starts we found the public market.  A huge old building that is open on Saturdays with vendors selling fresh meats, local foods to the typical tourist stuff.   Found one geocache in a lovely park/zoo.  

A very different room key system here (I do have pictures that I haven't been able to upload).  The key is a normal key, but the attachment is a large metal weight.  When we first got to the room, we couldn't figure out how to turn on the lights.  So after I bit, I saw the room cleaning cart so went to ask the housekeeper.  What the big metal weight is, is a magnet that you put in a slot by the room door and it activates all the electricity in the room.  Very different.  

An observation, Greek men dress much more colorful than the women.   

Headed back to the harbor for the evening.  Wandered around the winding narrow , cobbled streets, there were full of tourists.  Came real close to buying a beautiful gold bracelet with the the traditional Greek decide on it.  A small jewelry store that offered alcohol to its customers!!  Susan was drinking scotch, a very good one according to her, but I stuck with water.  A good thing, or I could of spent many euros on some very nice jewelry.   Note to self, don't take Susan along when shopping for jewelry (especially) when drinking scotch.  She would have had me buy the whole collection!   

Found a nice little street side restaurant and had Greek salads for dinner nada gelato on the walk back to the hotel.  Also discovered a wonderful fused glass artist.   Got some great ideas. I'm hoping this will put back in the mood for doing my own glass projects.

Sunday, Sept 9

Got up before the city came to life and wandered down to the sea wall.  A few fishermen out.  Didn't see anything being caught.  I was going to take a short run, but find I'm still tired.  Came back to the hotel, had some breakfast and up to the room to relax.

We'll meet up with our tour folks this evening for dinner.  There's only 7 in the group.  How fun is that?

Now hanging out at the harbor again.  Looked for a couple geocaches that took us to non touristy places.  Found a lovely beach, checked out the water and then wandered back to the harbor for some wine and Internet.  Tonight we meetup with our group for the hiking and kayaking part of the trip.  Only 7 in the group, how great is that.

Still can't load pictures. :(


3 comments:

  1. I have the pictures loaded with Picasa to Google + then can access.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful Liz, and geocaching in Greece amazing. This is fun hearing what you are doing. Keep hydrated and stay safe, can't wait to hear about the kayaking.

    ReplyDelete